Maca, a miracle for women
Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a plant that grows in the central highlands of Peru, in particularly rugged and inhospitable areas above 3,500 meters high in the Andes, where there is virtually no other form of plant life.
In recent times, the many properties of this amazing Andean root have been released worldwide, as is a very powerful and energizing plant endocrine regulator, especially recommended for women with various hormonal disorders and also for athletes seeking to improve their performance and recovery.
Maca contains proteins, essential amino acids, carbohydrates, fibers and vitamins (B1, B2, B6 ...), and minerals such as iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. Thanks to these nutritional components we can enjoy its health properties:
- It contributes to the recovery of energy expenditure and reduces fatigue.
- Increases vitality.
- Increases libido in men and women.
- It is a hormone regulator at all levels (pituitary and hypothalamus).
- Improved some cases of infertility in men and women.
- Alleviates problems menstrual cycles Women (dysmenorrhea, or menstrual pain, discomfort during menstruation, discomfort during menopause, etc.).
- Due to its antioxidant properties delays aging, effects can notice especially in the skin.
- Strengthens hair.
- Strengthens bone growth.
- Alleviates chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, increasing natural adrenaline.
- It is a powerful anti-stress supplement.
- Relieves muscle and bone pain such as rheumatism, arthritis or osteoarthritis.
- It increases brain circulation, which improves memory and concentration.
How do we take maca?
We can get in tablet or powder form. Powdered suits us more if we want better control the dose we take, since it is recommended to start with small amounts and gradually increase, because it is very energizing. Also we always take it in the morning.
- The maintenance dose is 3 grams per day (Approximately one level teaspoon of mocha).
- For important and acute (e.g., infertility) cases can take 6 to 9 grams daily.
- Children should take half the dose, and even start for less and do more to control that does not stimulate them too.
- It can be taken mixed with juice.
Rediscovering its restorative, fortifying, energizing and homeostatic properties has made that maca has a growing demand. Ideal regularly consume juice as a companion to our food or just to cool off on a hot day.
Although some of its benefits can be noticed quickly, if we have more profound effects (such as an endocrine regulator) it is recommended to take at least three months and then evaluate the results with a specialist. It must take into account that has lasting effects even after you stop taking it.
Contraindications of maca
It is always important to consult a naturopath before taking any natural supplement. In this case we must be alert in cases of uncontrolled hypertension and monitor much dose in cases of overstimulation of the immune system.
Images courtesy of Food Thinkers